Down Canterbury Lane (running by the side of Superdrug) we find a memorial plaque (Image 1) which reminds us of the Quaker Friends' Meeting House which stood here for over 250 years. Opened in 1687, with permanent seating installed in 1772, the building was destroyed in the WW2 bombing raid on Canterbury carried out on 1 June 1942. The structure (Image 2) was large, brick built with a cemented front, and seating for 100 worshippers. The Quaker burials took place some distance away - in a walled plot at the corner of St Dunstan's and Forty Acre Road, adjacent to the Jewish cemetery. Registers of births, marriages, deaths and burials for the Canterbury Lane Meeting House survive from the mid-17th century to the 1770s, held at the National Archives. A replacement Meeting House was built in The Friars, near the Marlowe Theatre, in 1956 (Image 3).
Little is known of the detailed activities of early Canterbury Quakers. A few snippets follow: